Thursday, September 23, 2010

Where Indians dare!

Recent headlines in media regarding the New Delhi CWG
 "Bridge collapses at CWG Village"
"After bridge, now ceiling collapses at 
Commonwealth Games venue"

Frankly speaking, reading the headlines one cannot be mistaken to think that there is something seriously wrong. Sadly though, all this headline business nowadays have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

What really made me write this piece was the second headline "After bridge, now ceiling collapses at Commonwealth Games venue". Skimming through the information superhighway, I must say I was drawn to this news story, shocked. And this shock turned to utter disgust when I dug up the details.

What is claimed to be the collapsed ceiling was infact two tiles of the false ceiling that fell down; tiles which everyone knows are predominantly made up of paper board! And these two paper boards have brought airtime on prime time television, with Mr. Tom, Dr. Dick and Sree Harry eagerly dissecting and cross examining the events. I mean, how much more lame can we be, should we ourselves take pain in tarnishing our own image when an event so big is about to place in our backyard. You might also be surprised to know that the presenter of the CWG on the BBC echoed the same opinion. Quoted in his tweet "Local news incredibly negative about CWG here in Delhi.Amazing city, big next 12 days!"

And regarding the foot-overbridge that collapsed. Well, that was embarrassing to be honest, especially when you consider that it was right in front of the main stadium. But that aside one cannot rubbish that fact that this suspension foot-overbridge was under construction and that this incident occurred when the crews were working on securing the bridge to the iron cables that hold it in place. It's a shame it happened at the wrong time and the wrong place, but that aside I would prefer it to be seen in the light of a construction site incident.


Of course one cannot deny the mess organizing this year's CWG has got us into, for which answers have to be found. But until then can't the media at least try stop misbehaving themselves? What they fail to realize is that their own silly actions of  blowing up such trivial incidents has got us into deep ****. But, I am not one bit surprised actually, for these are the same hacks who headline "Wardrobe Malfunction" for a bit of an undergarment sticking out of a celebrity's blouse.And so I wont be caught off guard with headlines like "After bridge and ceiling now clothes line collapses at CWG village"

I know we have made mistakes, I know our efforts have been slow and I know that I may have to eat my words at the end of the day for who knows even the stadium might collapsed (god forbid such a thing might happen) but as of now I'm just going to root for my country.

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails