Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tunatic -the little big thing


It's been sometime that I have been thinking of properly naming the n number of 'Untitled' tracks performed by 'Artist' from the album 'Album',you know what I mean. I had a plethora of such artists and albums in my itunes playlists and it had been bugging me for quite some time. I first embarked on googling the lyrics of the track to find out the real name of the song. But that turned out to be a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. So I gave up, shut my laptop and tucked it away.

A few weeks ago I had a chance to toy around with my cousin's swanky Sony Ericsson phone. It had this application called TrackID, which automatically recognizes the song and provides info like the artist album etc.. In my short rendezvous with the phone this application had me completely blown away. It could tell you who is singing the song you are hearing right now on the radio, which album it was taken from and even give links to its lyrics. For me that was power. This Track ID aint a completely new thing, Sony Ericsson phones have had this feature for more than an year now. And I wasnt completely new to the feature either, I had heard about it but never knew it had this much potential.

As soon as the phone went back to its rightful owner I quickly got into research mode trying to uncover the technology and possible applications that would do the same trick on my computer. Apparently the technology is called Audio fingerprinting and just as I hoped I found 'Tunatic'. Tunatic is the computer equivalent of TrackID and I was finally all upbeat about sorting out my itunes playlist. What impressed me the most about Tunatic was its simplicity, the application had just one button! One button!! The button to find the song. And it did just that and how! Simply play the song and click recognize on Tunatic and waaalaah the info you need is right on the screen. You can play any portion of the file and tunatic will give you the result in about 30 seconds!! What more it will also give you the lyrics and other information about the artist and album if you click the small arrow in the software!

The software is extremely light and most of all free! The download file just weighs around 500kb, installs in 3 clicks and is as simple to operate as a light bulb . It recongnized 99% of my tracks, including instrumentals and even hindi songs (I never even dreamt that would be possible)


I am sure most of us will have lots of unnamed tracks or tracks with missing information, then Tunatic is the one for you. And because it is simple and light I am positive it would work like a breeze even with slower dial-up connections.

In the picture notice the sheer simplicity of Tunatic, ( the purple coloured block) also appreciate its size.

You can comment on any of my posts as anonymous, so please pen down your criticisms on the comments page. Remember an author is always fueled by ideas and criticisms. See you tomorrow

Here is the link to the Tunatic website, you can download the smart application from here:
http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails